Samsung i9000 Galaxy Review
The Samsung Android i9000 Galaxy is certainly among the hottest Android smart phones to date, with a 4″ AMOLED display and a 1 GHz CPU within the ultra thin 9.9mm body. The phone boasts PowerVR SGX 540 graphics, 512 MB RAM and a choice of 8GB or 16GB of on-board memory and an additional microSD card slot for expansion.
The Samsung i9000 Galaxy operates on a customised version of Android 2.1 with the newest edition of the TouchWiz user interface and packs a 5 mega-pixel auto-focus camera which is capable of recording 720p video footage. The phone supports DivX and XviD for video playback on the 4î AMOLED display with 480×800 WVGA resolution.
The design of the Samsung i9000 Galaxy is the reason for its popularity. The large 4î screen fills up most of the front and is slightly recessed to protect the screen when face down on surfaces while still maintaining space for touch keys below the screen, and the front facing VGA cam. The back of the phone hosts a 5MP camera lens in the upper left hand corner and speaker grill on the right. The volume rocker is located on the upper left side while the power/lock key is located on the right to prevent accidental dialling on the capacitive screen.
On the top of the Samsung i9000 Galaxy is the microUSB port with a protective sliding lid cover to prevent dirt from clogging the port and the 3.5mm audio jack which can serve as an S-video port for TV-out. Overall the Samsung i9000 Galaxy has a streamlined and sleek design and is one of the lightest handsets with a 4î display due in most part to its all plastic casing.
The Samsung Galaxy i9000 provides a powerful mix of advanced hardware and software features like ultra fast data transfer, the Google Maps Navigation application and the ëWrite&Goí feature which allows users to select a pre-written text and choose to send it later by SNS, SMS, MMS, email, calendar or memo. The phonebook seamlessly integrates all SNS, IM, email, and calendar accounts, so users no longer need to spend time checking separate sites. The integrated messaging automatically syncs and manages the history for all SNS and IM accounts, just from one screen.
The Samsung Galaxy i9000 comes with Allshare (via DLNA) to wirelessly connect and share videos, photos, music and more between phone, TV and PC as well as the Wireless Tethering application which allows users to connect up to the web via 3G in places where they donít normally support online connection like cafes and parks.
The phone features support for Wi-Fi b/g/n. GPS with A-GPS is also on board, along with 3G (with HSDPA support), USB and Bluetooth 3.0 connectivity ensuring users can stay connected at all times. The Samsung i9000 Galaxy features a 1500 mAh Li-Ion battery which provides enough power for more than three days with reasonably heavy usage.
The Samsung i9000 Galaxy boasts a phonebook with huge functionality and practically unlimited capacity. Entries can be searched by either flick-scrolling the list or using the alphabet scroll at the side of the screen. With Android 2.1, there is also multiple account support for email and contact synchronization, including Exchange accounts.
Most notably, while in the main contact list, swiping to the right on a name will dial the contactís default number, while swiping to the left will start the New message interface.
Messages in the history can be managed by pressing and holding a message to bring up the various options such as edit, forward and delete as well as view details and copy message text.
A press-and-hold in the tap-to-compose allows users to cut, copy and paste and then paste the copied text across applications like email, notes and chats.
The sleek performance and design of the Samsung i9000 Galaxy provides an efficient tool for smart phone users to stay in contact and up to date with all the necessary features required in a smart phone.
- Network 2.5G (GSM/ GPRS/ EDGE) : 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 MHz3G (HSDPA 7.2Mbps, HSUPA 5.76Mbps) : 900 / 1900 / 2100 MHz
- OS Android 2.1
- Display 4.0î WVGA SUPER AMOLED (800◊480) with mDNIe
- Camera 5.0 mega-pixel Camera + VGA Video Telephony Camera, Auto Focus, Self shot, Action shot, Add me, Stop motion, Cartoon shot, Smile shot,
- Panorama shot
- Video HD(720p@30fps) video playing & recordingCodec: mpeg4, H.264, H.263, H263Sorenson, DivX HD/ XviD, VC-1
- Format: 3gp (mp4), WMV (asf), AVI (divx), MKV, FLV
- Audio MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, WMA, OGG, AMR-NB, WAV, MID, AC3, IMY,FLAC, XMF
- Value-added Features Integrated Messaging ëSocial Hubí
- Android Market for more applications and contents
- Augmented Reality with Layar Reality Browser
- 1 GHz Application Processor
- SMS/ MMS/ Email/ Video Messaging/ Exchange ActiveSync
- Sensor: Accelerometer, Digital compass, Proximity, Light
- Offline & No SIM Mode, Voice Command,RSS Reader, Mobile Widgets,
- Connectivity Bluetooth technology v 3.0USB v2.0 (High-Speed) Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
- Memory 16GB / 8GB, external memory slot (up to 32GB)
- Size 64.2 x 122.4 x 9.9mm, 118g
- Battery 1500 mAh