Sony Ericsson X8 Review
The Sony Ericsson X8 is Sony Ericsson’s mid-range smart phone which features all of the best that the Xperia range has to offer with a 600MHz CPU and custom interface for a smooth and consistent run.
Wi-Fi b/g, Bluetooth 2.1 and A-GPS along with HSDPA-enabled 3G give the Sony Ericsson X8 all the connectivity users will need in a compact phone measuring 99mm by 54mm by 15mm and a 3 inch HVGA screen and single handed usability.
Although the plastic cover used on the Sony Ericsson X8 doesnít offer a ‘premium’ feel, it does manage to keep the weight down. The 3 inch capacitive touch screen boasts excellent touch screen sensitivity and a great touch screen experience with good brightness and contrast.
There are a number of convenience keys located on the right hand side of the phone offering users volume control and shutter key for the fixed focus camera.
The screen lock / power button on the top of the phone is small and barely protrudes which minimises accidental pressing. Also at the top of the Sony Ericsson X8 is the 3.5mm standard audio jack and the microUSB port with a protective cap.
The Sony Ericsson hosts a 3 mega-pixel fixed focus camera with the lens on the back of the camera inset into the case to provide reasonable protection against scratches.
The microSD card slot and SIM component are located beneath the battery cover. The microSD slot is hot-swap enabled, and the battery is replaceable unlike the smaller X10 Mini.
The back and the front covers of the X8 are interchangeable allowing users to dress up their phones in the wide range of colours available. Both the back and front covers come off relatively easy for this purpose.
The Sony Ericsson X8 runs version 1.6 of the Android platform and Sony’s own custom user interface. It hosts the same home screen as the earlier X10 mini although the 3 inch HVGA resolution provides a clearer image and better usability. The handy corner shortcuts are set by default to the message composer, music player, phone book and dial pad/call log but can be customised to lead to the users preferred shortcuts.
The Androidís notification area provides the status info about battery, signal strength, Bluetooth or missed events as well as a list of all recent notifications in the slide down.
The Sony Ericsson X8 packs the Timescape user interface plug-in which allows users to integrate all communications. An aggregated view of SMS, MMS, email, missed calls, Facebook and Twitter updates are all displayed on one screen and content can be filtered by type. The 3 inch screen on the Sony Ericsson X8 makes the virtual QWERTY keyboard a lot more comfortable in landscape, but still useable in portrait mode.
The camera on the Sony Ericsson X8 is a fixed-focus 3MP camera with a maximum resolution of 2048 x 1536 pixels. The interface is simple without many options but produces decent quality photos with minimal user interaction.
The Android 1.6 comes with an excellent WebKit-based browser which allows the user to scroll, pan or zoom as well as an overview mode and text reflow to make navigating a complex page easier.
Overall, the Sony Ericsson X8 is a lightweight smart phone that offers good looks, a reasonable 3-inch capacitive screen and easy-to-use software that Xperia users have become used to.
- General 2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G Network HSDPA 900 / 2100 HSDPA 850 / 1900 / 2100
- Size/ Dimensions 99 x 54 x 15 mm
- Weight 104 g
- Display Type TFT capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size 320 x 480 pixels, 3.0 inches
- Scratch-resistant surface
- Accelerometer sensor for UI auto-rotate
- Proximity sensor for auto turn-off
- Timescape UI
- Sound / Alert Types Vibration, MP3 ringtones
- Speakerphone Yes
- 3.5 mm audio jack
- Phonebook Practically unlimited entries and fields, Photocall
- Call records Practically unlimited
- Internal 128 MB storage, 168 MB RAM
- Card slot microSD, up to 16GB, 2GB included, buy memory GPRS Up to 85.6 kbps
- EDGE Up to 236.8 kbps
- 3G HSDPA, 7.2 Mbps; HSUPA, 2 Mbps
- WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g
- Bluetooth Yes, v2.1 with A2DP
- USB Yes, v2.0 microUSB
- Camera 3.15 MP, 2048×1536 pixels, check quality Geo-tagging
- Video Yes, VGA@30fps
- OS Android OS, v1.6, upgradable to v2.1
- CPU Qualcomm MSM7227 600 MHz processor
- Messaging SMS (threaded view), MMS, Email, Push email, IM
- Browser HTML
- Radio Stereo FM radio with RDS
- Games Yes
- Colours White, Dark Blue/ White, Aqua Blue/ White, Pink/ White, Silver/ White
- GPS Yes, with A-GPS support
- Features - SNS integration
- Battery Standard battery, Li-Po 1200 mAh
- Stand-by Up to 446 h (2G) / Up to 476 h (3G)
- Talk time Up to 4 h 45 min (2G) / Up to 5 h 40 min (3G)
- Music play Up to 23 h 40 min
- Digital compass
- MP4/H.263/H.264/WMV player
- MP3/eAAC+/WMA/WAV player
- TrackID music recognition
- Google Search, Maps, Gmail,
YouTube, Calendar, Google Talk
- Voice memo
- Predictive text input