Nokia N8 Review
The Nokia N8 is one of Nokia’s best smart phones to date with marked improvements on the Symbian 3, excellent camera and video quality and solid hardware. The Nokia N8 is the first smart phone to feature the revamped Symbian 3 operating system which offers improvements such as simplified touch interface and enhanced multimedia capabilities.
The Nokia N8 boasts high-quality construction with metal finishes and glass display. The N8 is both big enough to offer a sizable screen but thin and compact enough to be easy to carry and hold. The 3.5-inch, AMOLED capacitive touch screen offers 640×360-pixel resolution and support for 16.7 million colours with a built-in accelerometer and pinch-to-zoom support.
The on-screen keyboards are available in portrait and landscape modes, but the QWERTY option is only available in landscape view.
Other features of the Nokia N8 include a power button, an HDMI port, and a 3.5mm headphone jack on top of the device as well as a SIM card and microSD expansion slots and Micro-USB port on the left spine.
The Symbian 3 OS now offers a single-tap interaction model across the user interface to increase ease of use. The home screen can be customised with various widgets including messaging, social networks, music player, favourite contacts and RSS feeds and can provide a quick preview or be accessed by tapping the widget to launch the individual application.
The Nokia N8 offers quad-band world roaming, a speakerphone, speed dial, conference calling, voice dialing, a vibrate mode, and text and multimedia messaging with threaded chat view.
The N8 is compatible with multiple e-mail protocols, including Exchange, Lotus Notes, and POP3/IMAP accounts, and offers HTML and folder support.
Wireless options are well-represented on the Nokia N8, with Bluetooth 3.0, Wi-Fi, GPS, and five-band 3G support. The N8′s WebKit-based browser offers support for Flash Lite 4.0 and multiple windows, and acceptable rendering of pages. The Multimedia capabilities of the N8 offers an interface for browsing music as well as basic functions such as shuffle and repeat modes, on-the-fly playlist creations, and support for MP3, WMA, AAC, eAAC, eAAC+, AMR-NB, and AMR-WB music codecs.
One of the notable features of the Nokia N8 is the 12-megapixel camera with Carl Zeiss optics, a Xenon flash, and numerous editing options. The Nokia N8 delivers some of the best picture quality available from a camera phone with sharp images and vibrant and rich colours.
In addition, the camera can record HD video of impressive quality and offers a preloaded video editor and photo editor.
There’s also a front-facing VGA camera, which you can use to make video calls.
Other applications preloaded onto the Nokia N8 include the Quick-Office suite, a PDF reader, a ZIP manager, a voice recorder, a dedicated YouTube app, and Ovi Maps, which offers free turn-by-turn navigation. More apps can be searched and downloaded from the Ovi Store.
The Nokia N8 offers 16GB of internal memory and an expansion slot that accepts up to 32GB cards. It’s equipped with a 680MHz ARM11 processor and a 1,200mAh lithium ion battery with a rated talk time of 12 hours (GSM)/5.8 hours (3G) and up to 16 days (GSM)/17 days (3G) of standby time.
- General 2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100
- Size/Dimensions 113.5 x 59.1 x 12.9 mm, 86 cc
- Weight 135 g
- Display Type AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
- Size 360 x 640 pixels, 3.5 inches
- Multi-touch input method
- Proximity sensor for auto turn-off
- Accelerometer sensor for UI auto-rotate
- Scratch resistant Gorilla glass display
- Sound Alert types: Vibration; MP3, WAV ringtones
- Speakerphone Yes
- 3.5 mm audio jack
- Memory Phonebook, Practically unlimited entries and fields, Photocall
- Call records Detailed, max 30 days
- Internal 16 GB storage, 256MB RAM, 512 MB ROM
- Card slot microSD, up to 32GB, buy memory
- Data GPRS Class 33
- EDGE Class 33
- 3G HSDPA, 10.2 Mbps; HSUPA, 2.0 Mbps
- WLAN Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, UPnP technology
- Bluetooth Yes, v3.0 with A2DP
- USB Yes, microUSB v2.0, USB On-the-go support
- Camera 12 MP, 4000×3000 pixels, Carl Zeiss optics, autofocus, Xenon flash
- 1/1.83” sensor size, ND filter, geo-tagging, face detection
- Video Yes, 720p@25fps
- Secondary VGA videocall camera
- OS Symbian 3 OS
- CPU ARM 11 680 MHz processor, 3D Graphics HW accelerator
- Messaging SMS (threaded view), MMS, Email, Push Email, IM
- Browser WAP 2.0/xHTML, HTML, RSS feeds
- Radio Stereo FM radio with RDS; FM transmitter
- Games Yes + downloadable
- GPS Yes, with A-GPS support; Ovi Maps 3.0
- Java Yes, MIDP 2.1
- TV-out (720p video) via HDMI with Dolby Digital Plus sound
- Active noise cancellation with a dedicated mic
- Digital compass
- MP3/WMA/WAV/eAAC+ player
- DivX/XviD/MP4/H.264/H.263/WMV player
- Voice command/dial
- Document viewer (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, PDF)
- Video/photo editor
- Flash Lite v4.0
- Stand-by Up to 390 h (2G) / Up to 400 h (3G)
- Talk time Up to 12 h 30 min (2G) / Up to 5 h 30 min (3G)
- Music play Up to 50 h
Battery Standard battery, Li-Ion 1200 mAh (BL-4D)